The basic requirements for the position of Police Constable are as follows:
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position, having regard to his or her own safety and the safety of the public.
- Must be of good moral character and habits.
- Must have successfully completed secondary school or the approved equivalent to the Ontario education system. Where education has been completed outside of the province of Ontario, official proof of equivalency must be provided. This proof can be obtained by contacting the Ontario Ministry of Education.
In addition, applicants for the position of police constable:
- Must possess a current Standard First Aid certificate and a current CPR certificate - Basic Rescuer level.
- Vision within acceptable standards: Uncorrected Visual Acuity should be at least 20/40 (6/12) binocularly (both eyes open). Corrected Visual Acuity should be at least 20/20 (6/6) binocularly. There are minimum requirements regarding refractive surgery, farsightedness (hyperopia), colour vision and peripheral vision.
- Hearing within acceptable standards: Normal hearing at frequencies of 500 to 4000 Hz measured by audiometer.
- Possess a valid Ontario Driver's License, "Class G" (no more than 6 demerit points).
- No criminal conviction(s) for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Pass medical examination.
The Cornwall Community Police Service will only accept applications for the position of police officer from those who have successfully completed the pre-interview assessment phase of the Constable Selection System and have received an Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (O.A.C.P.) Certificate of Results.
For more information on the Constable Selection System, please visit the following web site. Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Applicants who require information about the pre-interview assessment phase of the police selection process or wish to schedule pre-interview testing, may call Applicant Testing Service Inc. at 1-800-429-7728 or 519-659-8686 (out of province and local).
There is an associated cost involved, and candidates should proceed to the following Web site for more specific information: http://applicanttesting.com/