The Cornwall Police Service is pleased to offer several opportunities for student employment/volunteer work:
- Student Mentorship Program
- Youth in Policing Initiative (YIPI)
- Co-Op Placement
Please find more details below:
Student Mentorship Program
This paid position is under the supervision of the Officer in Charge of Support Services and is a full-time temporary position during the summer months, typically ending just before the beginning of the school year in September. The successful candidate works in the Records Department assisting the Receptionist and Records Clerks. Also, the candidate will have the opportunity to learn about other areas of the organization, how a municipal police service works, and attend weekly mentor team meetings.
- Must be a student returning to full-time studies at the college or university level in September of that year
- Ability to operate office equipment such as telephones, photocopier, cash register, and fax machine
- Experience dealing with customers is considered an asset
- Experience in administrative work is considered an asset
- Be able to handle sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
The successful candidate will demonstrate skills and abilities regarding the following:
- Strong communications skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to multi-task in a busy environment
- Ability to take initiative to address issues as they arise
The successful applicant will be expected to work Monday – Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm.
The CPS generally begins accepting applications for this position in the Spring. Check back for more information!
Youth in Policing Initiative (YIPI)
In collaboration with the Ministry of Children and Youth Services, Cornwall Police Service is engaging youth in an innovative employment experience within a safe and healthy work environment.
The goal of the YIPI Program is to offer youth an opportunity to develop job skills, to inspire young people to consider a career in policing and to become ambassadors of Cornwall Police Service by improving police and community relations.
Candidates must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- Be between 15 – 18 years of age at the time they apply for the program
- Live in York Region
- Be legally eligible to work in Canada
- Be currently enrolled in school and returning to school in September
- Available to work every scheduled day of the program
- Successfully complete the recruitment and background clearance process
- Must not have been convicted of a Criminal Offence for which a pardon has not been granted and must not have any charges pending before the courts
- Is responsible for arranging his/her own transportation to the work/meeting sites each day
More information will become available in January 2024.
Cornwall Police Service (CPS) supports the Co-operative Educational Programs offered by the local Boards of Education and post-secondary institutions. CPS is focused on offering opportunities to Co-operative Education Students interested in the Law Enforcement field to support them in obtain work experience and achieve credits toward their diplomas, certificates or degrees. The Cornwall Police Service strives to promote and demonstrate the values of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the community we serve and encourage qualified candidates of all backgrounds and abilities to apply.
Selected applicants will be required to undergo a background check prior to commencing their co-op placement with Cornwall Police Service.
Only selected students will be contact to participate in the program.
Recruitment for Co-Op students is ongoing. Please submit the application form below to express your interest in participating: