Interested in becoming a Police Constable? Here's what you need to know:
The Cornwall Police Service strives to promote and demonstrate the values of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the community we serve and encourage qualified candidates of all backgrounds and abilities to apply.
To qualify each applicant must have a valid OACP Certificate. Please visit https://oacpcertificate.ca/ for more information.
You must meet all of the requirements listed below in order to be considered for the Constable Selection Process.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have successfully completed a college diploma or degree, and must have undergone at least four full-time semesters in class.
- Must possess a current Standard First Aid certificate and a current CPR certificate - Basic Rescuer level.
- Possess a valid Ontario Driver's License, "Class G" (no more than 6 demerit points).
- Have no criminal conviction(s) for which a pardon has not been granted and be of good moral character and habits.
- Physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position (Must pass a medical exam).
- Must possess a valid OACP Certificate.
Experienced officers do not require an OACP Certificate; however, should provide proof of a valid Ontario Police Fitness Award.
- Must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 is required prior to commencing employment.
Recruitment: The Selection Process
This is a five-stage process. Applicants must successfully complete each stage to go on to the next one. Please note: the successful completion of any stage of this process does not guarantee proceeding to the next stage.
During recruitment periods, those interested in applying for a position as a Police Constable must use our online application to submit the following documents (please note the Cornwall Police Service will only accept online applications and no hard copies submitted in person or via mail will be accepted):
- Cover Letter
- Application Survey Form (The Application Survey Form is not a required document for the Constable Selection Process. Completion of this form is voluntary).
- Application Form
- OACP Certificate OR Ontario Police Fitness Award (only eligible for experienced officers)
- Standard First Aid & CPR Certificate
All information provided will be kept confidential.
Candidates meeting the criteria may be invited to complete an extensive pre-background questionnaire session. Candidates should allow approximately two to three hours to complete this stage.
Following an assessment of the completed questionnaire, applicants may be invited to an interview with the Cornwall Police Service.
Essential competency and local focus interviews are conducted, as per ongoing staffing requirements. At the interview, candidates will be required to provide originals of documents requested in the initial application process (i.e. original Standard First Aid & CPR Certificate, OACP Certificate, etc.).
These are knowledge, skills and abilities that are assessed during the entire selection process, which must be demonstrated in order to be considered for the position of police officer with the Cornwall Police Service. They are:
- Problem Solving
Additional Testing Stage
The Cornwall Police Service will conduct the shuttle run assessment. Applicants who have a valid PREP Test or PIN (shuttle run) test will be exempt from this stage.
An extensive and comprehensive background investigation will be conducted, as well as a psychological testing and interview.
Note: Applicants who successfully complete the Interview Stage may proceed to the Background Stage. The background investigation may include, but is not limited to, reference checks, verification of educational documents, verification of employment history and credit checks. Part of the background is further supplemented with a psychological assessment, which includes an interview with a psychologist.
All of the information collected from the previous stages of the selection process is reviewed and compared to the selection criteria. A conditional offer of employment may be made to qualified applicants. This offer will be conditional on security and medical clearance. If the job offer is accepted, the selected candidate will be required to undergo a probationary period, and be required to successfully complete all required training.
Upon being selected and signing a job offer the applicant must be willing to go on training at the Ontario Police College in Aylmer, Ontario for a period of 13 weeks. The applicant will also be personally responsible for paying a sum of $15,150 towards the training costs levied by the Ontario Police College.
The Cornwall Police Service is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the Cornwall Police Service is pleased to accommodate individual needs of applicants with disabilities within the recruitment and selection process. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation to ensure your equal participation in the recruitment and selection process.
Location(s) of Position(s)
18 Dec 2019
340 Pitt Street